Filmmakers and festival goers are descending upon the city that doesn’t sleep. The 2015 Tribeca Film Festival kicks off in New York. Through April 26, hundreds of films will premiere, prizes will be won and can’t forget all the top notch parties.
Tribeca is a neighborhood in Lower Manhattan. The festival was reportedly created after the September 11 attacks in 2001, but sources say it was in creation prior to the attacks. Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff founded the festival in 2002 to “celebrate New York City as a major filmmaking center and to contribute to the long-term recovery of lower Manhattan.” The festival has screened over 1400 films from over 80 countries since its inception.
Now you know a little about the famous festival, now learn about some of this year’s most buzzed about films:
1. Mary J. Blige – The London Sessions – A Sam Wrench documentary about Blige’s 13th album
2. Anesthesia – Director Tim Blake Nelson shows the events that lead up to a brutal theft of a Columbia professor. Stars Glenn Close, Kristen Stewart, Sam Waterston and Cory Stoll
3. DRUNK STONED BRILLIANT DEAD: The Story of the National Lampoon – Rare and never-before-seen archival footage with fans and founders
4. Speedy – Comedy legend Harold Lloyd stars as a die-hard Yankees fan who can’t keep a job, but is determined to save the last horse-drawn trolley in New York
5. 40th Anniversary of Monty Python and the Holy Grail – Python legends John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin will present select classics